We have identified 19 microRNAs in human serum which
- are associated to bone microstructure and histomorphometry,
- are regulated in patients with osteoporotic fractures
- are BMD-independent risk factors for osteoporotic fractures
- regulate bone formation and resorption via multiple pathways
- are novel biomarkers for bone diseases
- can easily be detected in human serum and plasma samples.
The key publications leading to the identification of these novel biomarker candidates can be found here.